Thursday 21 March 2013

21st March 2013 - International Poetry Day



World Poetry Day was declared by UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) in 1999 and is celebrated on 21 March.  The aim is to promote the reading, writing and teaching of poetry.  According to UNESCO: 'World Poetry Day is an invitation to reflect on the power of language and the full development of each person’s creative abilities'.
The English Department have decided to share with you a beautifully crafted poem written by Leo Marks.  What is fascinating about this poem is that he wrote it on Christmas Eve 1943 and he gave the poem to Violette Szabo on March 24th 1944 to use as code during the Second World War.  The poem is entitled: 'The Life That I Have' or it is sometimes referred to as 'Yours'.

The Life That I Have

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours.
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause.
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.


Please feel free to email your favourite poems to us at: englishonline@loretonavan.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment